Saturday, June 6, 2015

Race report: Singletrack Maniac 50K, Freedom Park, Williamsburg, VA

This is a no-frills race report for the 2015 Singletrack Maniac (STM) 50k at Freedom Park near Williamsburg, Virginia. For a frilly raceabout finishing a 50k the day after my 50th birthday, the details ofmy mid-life crisis are reported here.


I live in the Washington, D.C., suburbs and selected the STM 50k primarily because 1) it was a 50k event, 2) it was held the day after my 50th birthday, and 3) it was only 120 miles from home. The STM web site provided sufficient detail about the course so I had a decent idea about what to expect. Generally, the website is well organized and anticipates most questions thatpotential participants might ask.

Signup for the May 9, 2015, race opened on New Year’s day. Course registration is limited to 150 so I signed up early, although that doesn't appear necessary, at least not yet. About 85 ultimately registered. This is event’s third year and it looks like it has grown each year.

TRAINING

There are a variety of training plans available for a 50k. I don’t claim my plan is the best, but it worked for me. I’ve run one previous 50k trail race and several marathons. Ideally I would train on trails that matched the actual course as closely as possible. I didn’t live close enough to the STM trail to train on site, and the winter and spring in the D.C. metro area where I live tended to be wet and muddy so I didn’t train on trails as much as I would have preferred.

As for mileage, I set up a plan similar to a marathon plan, adding approximately an extra couple of miles to the long runs and a mile to other runs. Instead of running three or four 20-milers, I ran six or seven 20+ milers. My longest run was 25 miles and my highest mileage week was 55. I generally ran five times a week. Ideally I would have had a few runs greater than 25 miles and notched a few weekly mileage totals in the 60s. But I have a full time-plus job, a pain in the ass commute, two school-aged kids, and a wife who works and travels a lot for her job. My plan was sufficient, but more mileage would have been better.

ORGANIZATION

I enjoy smaller races. With 85 runners at the start, an excellent starting location at a middle school with locker rooms and restrooms open to participants, this was a nice set up. Plenty of parking as well. No rushing or waiting in lines. The organizer called everyone together before the start with course overview and general reminders. There were four aid stations and because of the course design, you hit each one two or more times. The aid stations were well stocked with a variety of foods (everything from peanut M&Ms and pretzels to baked potato chunks) and drink (some kind sports drink, water, and Coca Cola). The volunteers helped fill water bottles, were enthusiastic, and all around wonderful.

The course was also well marked. I don’t recall one instance where I wasn’t sure I was in the right place. It helps if you study the course map and course description at the web site before the race, but it probably isn’t necessary.

The finish was also great. When I crossed the finish line, the race director handed me the finisher’s beer glass, as well as a gallon-sized “Growler” jug for winning the 50-and-over division. It was nice to be able to hang out for a while at the finish and then head out without having to wait for a ceremony at the end. There was a nice spread at the finish for eating and drinking (no beer, the downside of utilizing a public school campus!).  There were also shower facilities in the locker room at the school, which is always nice if you’re traveling home right after a race.

Overall, this is a race that keeps runners in mind and is well organized.

COURSE

Only a couple of paces that are spectator accessible (around the 11-13 mile out-and-back section on the park road and at the school near the start/finish). You start at the school on asphalt, move onto a gravel road to enter Freedom Park and at about Mile 2 your start on the single track mountain bike trails. The runners spread out fairly quickly and at times I saw no other runners. Over the second half of the course, about four of us were grouped somewhat, passing and being passed before spreading out a bit over the last mile or two.

The course is hilly, but these are small hills so there are few steep sections or dramatic climbs. The course description says 1500 feet elevation gain and loss of the 31 miles and that sounds right to me. But it is not an easy course because there are continuous twists and turns and the footing is uneven. And there are roots. Lots of roots. I stumbled and caught myself on hands and knees three or four times and fell landing hard on my stomach three different times as well. A few minor abrasions and some black toenails the next day, nothing serious. But I can see how it would be easy to sprain an ankle or break a toe. Also, because of the twists and turns, your Garmin or similar GPS device is not especially precise. I think mine ended up registering 28 miles for the 31 mile source.

The entire course is wooded and scenic. We were told that most of the course was closed to bikers on race day and I think I only encountered one guy on a mountain bike. There are three single track loops coming off the main road through the park and you run each loop twice. They range from 4-6 miles in distance. Although you repeat some terrain, it is not boring. You must pay attention or you will be taking a tumble.

I would rate the trail difficult for runners, mostly because it was so twisty and so many opportunities to fall on your face. There are plenty of aid stations, although you might go five and half miles without a station late in the race and that seems like a long time. I think you’re crazy (or super fast) if you don’t carry water and Gu or some kind of gel on the course.

Just a note about the 2015 event: It was humid and in the mid- to upper-60s at the start and hit 80 degrees by the finish. This is pretty hot and humid for my taste and I ended up a little slower than I had hoped. This isn’t the race organizer’s fault, of course, but this would have been an ever more enjoyable course if the weather had been milder.

CONCLUSION

This is only my second ultra-marathon and I picked a 50k mostly as a birthday gift to myself for my 50th birthday. Generally, training for a 50k takes too much time, even compared to a marathon, so it might be a while before I try that distance again. But I would not hesitate to run this course again.


No comments:

Post a Comment