Sunday, April 20, 2014

Dads gone wild: spring break Orlando

My ideal vacations involve back-country winter hut trips in the Colorado Rockies, backpacking in the Sawtooth Mountains of Idaho, or sneaking into Mexico in a row boat from some remote outpost in west Texas. I’m also comfortable with Carissa’s ideal vacations, which center on sun and sand and impeccable service. What’s not to like about day drinking in Kauai or Cabo while sprawled in a lounge chair with a good book, pasty white belly slathered in SPF 50 sun and offered to the sun gods? Well, paying seven dollars for a beer for one thing. But those are all charged to the room so it only hurts once, at checkout.

What I have strongly resisted for nearly my entire life is a family vacation at a major theme park. I am not a person who thrives in crowds and noise. Rather, when confronted with crowds and noise, I vacillate between dark, powerful impulses to hurt others and dark, powerful impulses to curl up in the fetal position and sob. I am in fact suspicious of people who enjoy fighting masses of people just to wait in lengthy lines for brief moments of exhilaration. I’m tempted to call these people freaks and weirdos, except my brother and my sister-in-law fit into this group and they seem to be reasonably well-adjusted people (but who really knows what secrets they could be hiding?).

This is the long way of saying that I just spent spring break week with Carissa and our two children in Orlando visiting the Wizarding World of Harry Potter at the Universal Studios resort. Emotionally exhausting, psychologically crippling, yes. But nobody got (seriously) injured. There was also this: watching my twelve-year-old daughter visibly buzzing with geeky giddiness while her six-year-old sister repeatedly announces that this is the Best. Trip. Ever. My children’s joy hardly compensates me for all my inconveniences, but it is something.

This trip would not have happened but for the twelve-year-old. She is a hard-core Harry Potter zealot. She has read and re-read the seven novels more times than is probably healthy, rendering each of them tattered and torn from heavy use. She has watched every movie more times than their directors. She knows every minor character, every spell, every story line, every plot twist, every obscure background factoid. She is outraged that in the movies, the Patil twins are both in Gryffindor house but in the books, one is in Gryffindor and the other in Ravenclaw. She calls me a muggle because I don’t give a crap about discrepancies involving the Patil sisters.

In sum, the kid is a smug pain in the ass about all things Potter. But it is wonderful to see a kid so passionate about something. For more than a year we had deferred a promised trip to Orlando to see the replica Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and the village of Hogsmeade (as well as mind-blowing 3-D simulation rides and violent, puke-inducing roller-coasters). It’s the most popular feature at the Universal Studios theme park resort. So we sucked it up knowing that we will be able to hold our act of generosity over our oldest child for months.

A few things that I discovered on this vacation: Long, snaking lines of people. Everywhere. Hot and crowded conditions. Everywhere. That people in crowds tend not to walk at even speeds or in directions that can be anticipated. They stop suddenly. They don’t appear to notice when their stroller scraps the hide from your ankle when you stop to avoid knocking over a guy in a Dale Jr. t-shirt with a neck tattoo who stops (suddenly) to scratch his ass. That our six-year-old daughter will become a 47-inch machine of rage and fury every time she encounters a ride that requires her to be 48 inches or taller to board. That it is not possible to find lunch for less than eighty dollars for a family of four, unless you grab donuts and coffee from a snack kiosk for a mere forty dollars. That merchandise shops are more common than extra snug denim shorts on full-figured women. Did I forget to mention long lines and crowds of people?

A few more things I discovered. We snobs who are too cool for theme parks probably need to get over ourselves, at least a little bit. In spite of myself, I enjoyed the family vacation to Harry Potter land, as well as most of the other Universal attractions. We did homework in advance and limited our exposure to long lines by staying in a resort hotel that enabled us to enter the park an hour ahead of the masses and by paying extra for “express” passes that turned ninety-minute lines on popular rides into a fifteen minute waits. I’ve spent more time in line buying groceries. While these crowd-avoidance strategies didn’t come free, when compared with potential legal and medical costs associated with me freaking out while stuck in a line from hell, the added expense was prudent. At first I felt guilty as I sped past hot and grumpy families stuck in long lines without express passes. Then I learned to avoid eye contact and keep moving and the guilt went away. 


Eventually I became sufficiently secure to ventured out on my own for a few rides on the spine-and-internal-organ-punishing Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit roller coaster when the rest of my family wanted to continue shooting aliens on the Men in Black ride. And while I was ultimately forced to rethink my attitude about theme parks, I must also confess that my best moments came when we took breaks in the middle of the day and I was able to day drink seven dollar beers by a pool with my pasty white belly offered up to the sun gods. Until my kids asked me to put my shirt back on because I was embarrassing them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment